This February and March, the French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF), New York’s premiere French cultural center, welcomes visionary director and artist Agnès Varda for the newCinéSalon series, Agnès Varda: Life as Art. Frequently referred to as the grandmother of French New Wave, the pioneering director has spent more than 50 years making fiercely original films at the intersection of fiction, documentary, and autobiography. This winter, CinéSalon presents a special tribute to her perpetually influential and inventive work.
On Tuesday, February 28, Agnès Varda comes to FIAF to kick off the series with a special talkabout her recent turn toward visual artist in advance of her first exhibition in NYC. The rest of March will be dedicated to several rarely-screened works from her oeuvre. The series will conclude with the debut film of Jacques Demy—her late husband—featuring an original song by Varda.
· Special Talk Agnès Varda: Visual Artist, Tuesday, February 28 at 7:30pm
· Daguerréotypes, dir. Agnès Varda, Tuesday, March 7 at 4 & 7 :30pm.7:30pm screening followed by a Q&A with Agnès Varda, moderated by Laurence Kardish, former film curator at MoMA.
· Jacquot de Nantes, dir. Agnès Varda, Tuesday, March 14 at 4 & 7:30pm
· Lola, dir. Jacques Demy, Tuesday, March 21 at 4 & 7:30pm.
CinéSalon is more than just a night at the movies! Every Tuesday at 4 and 7:30pm, join us for a great film, drinks, and conversation. 7:30pm screenings will be introduced by guest speakers. After the movie, have a drink in the FIAF Gallery. These lively gatherings are the perfect place to discuss the movie.
· Exhibition Agnès Varda at Blum & Poe March 2 through April 15
Opening Reception: Thursday, March 2 from 6–8pm
· Talk: The Cinema of Agnès Varda at Elinor Bunin Monroe Film Center
Post a Comment