Friday, November 8, 2013

I have a bad feeling about this.

Lately the word for the upcoming Star Wars Episode VII is that it is going to be a reboot of the franchise. Now if this means that Disney and Abrams are going to do to Star Wars what Paramount and Abrams did for Star Trek then I will be very disappointed. Please note that what I am stating here is not based on any fact or announcement other than now the word reboot is being used instead of sequel or sequel trilogy. 

Now how anyone could ever want to reboot the first Star Wars film is beyond me. It is a classic. I also would hope the fact that Abrams is working with Lawrence Kasdan on the script would mean the duo were endeavoring to bring Star Wars back into focus to be encouraging, but then again...

The fact is Star Trek Into Darkness was just a rehash of bits from all over Star Trek with no emotional attachment other than because we are familiar with the classic characters, it means we should blindly feel the same about the new cast playing the characters. This could be even more of a let down than Prometheus was for Alien fans in 2012. 

When you can create a brand new story set in the same universe as Star Wars, don't negate it by rebooting it. That in my opinion is a lazy approach. So I hope I am wrong and I am reading too much into the description of reboot because I love Star Wars. I grew up on it. However I don't love reboots. I would take the prequel trilogy over a reboot of Star Wars any day if that is the case. Boy, I hope I am wrong.

(C) Copyright 2013 By Mark Rivera
All Rights Reserved.